A new legal framework which entered into force on October 8, 2012.
ARI - the Golden Residence Permit Programme is developed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs through the Department of Consular Affairs and the Portuguese Trade and Investment Agency (AICEP), and the Ministry of Internal Administration through the Immigration and Border Service (SEF).
Promote foreign investment.
Provide opportunities to live and travel in a space of security.
Bring people together, give and take in a fair and balanced manner.
Who may apply
Non European Union member states nationals who want to pursue an investment activity in Portugal.
The programme also covers shareholders of companies already set up in Portugal or in another EU member state with a stable presence in Portugal.
When the requirements are met through a company, the investor’s equity share is applied to assess its fulfillment.
- Capital transfer of an amount equal to or above 1 million Euros.
- Creation of, at least, 10 jobs.
- Acquisition of real estate with a value equal to or above 500.000 Euros.
Duration of the Programme
The Golden Residence Permit will be given temporarily for an initial period of one year, renewable for two consecutive periods of two years.
After the initial five year period, the investor may ask for the renewal of the temporary residence permit for consecutive periods of two years or may apply for a permanent residence permit, which may lead to Portuguese citizenship.
Where to apply
Online at www.sef.pt
Portuguese Diplomatic or Consular Posts.Regional Directorates and Delegations of the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (SEF) in Portugal.
Assessment of investment requirements
- Capital investment – bank statement that confirms ownership of financial assets, with a minimum of 1 million Euros unequivocally attributable to the applicant;
- Real Estate investment – property titles confirming ownership of real estate assets in a minimum amount of 500.000 Euros;;
- Job creation – presentation of Social Security records illustrating the creation of 10 full-time equivalent jobs.;
- The fulfillment of the conditions must be reconfirmed upon renewal of the special residence permit.;
- If conditions are met through a company, the percentage of capital owned is considered in the assessment.
The applicant commits to:
- Maintain the investment for a minimum of 5 years;
- Stay in Portugal for periods that add up to a minimum of 7 days during the first year; and the following two years for a total of, at least, 14 days.
The applicant is entitled to:
- Request a Residence Permit for its immediate family, under the family regrouping option;
- Legally work in Portugal;
- Travel within the Schengen area.
- Additionally, should the corresponding legal provisions be fulfilled, the holders of a Golden Residence Permit may gain access to a permanent residence permit or request Portuguese citizenship.
For further information:
Aicep Portugal Global Trade & Investment Agency
Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service